Creative leaders on the art of successful mobile brand advertising
In celebration of creativity and the 2013 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, the IAB has created a unique, comprehensive view of today’s mobile creative best practices. IAB started with the consumer and with Dynamic Logic data from more than 100+ mobile campaigns. Based on the data, Dynamic Logic, Millward Brown’s digital practice, created 4 high level thought starters for mobile creative best practices.
IAB asked Millward Brown’s qualitative practice, Firefly, to ask a variety of agency creatives to elaborate on these initial best practices, thought starters – to share perspective and thoughts on how to enhance the thought starters.
We conducted 15 in depth telephone interviews with senior level creatives from 2 quota groups:
- Quota A1: Judges at either Cannes or IAB MIXX Awards.
- Quota A2: Involved with global campaigns, native to digital, prior to current role were in a position which focused on mobile, and have familiarity working with 360 campaigns.
Research participants came from a range of advertising agencies including Chiat Day, Draft FCB, JWT, R/GA and Digitas.
The 4 mobile creative best practices thought starters
The mobile creative best practices cover 4 areas:
- Branding: Clear and persistent branding is important for building brand awareness
- Design: A striking color palette can drive ad recall, but legibility is paramount
- Messaging: Short, focused messaging plays well in mobile’s small format
- Response: Consumers respond to mobile ads that give them something back
Mobile creatives expand upon the thought starters
Most of the mobile creatives we spoke with are doing mobile work which they say is experiential and cross-channel, not limited to mobile display/banners. They acknowledged the relevance of the thought starter principles to mobile display/banners, and feel these principles are not always relevant to the “bigger” mobile work they are doing.
The mobile creatives we talked with agreed with the 4 mobile display/banner principles uncovered in the consumer research, and helped us enhance these principles to be relevant to the mobile work they are doing today.